Center align labels in container using label top as reference

I have two labels in a horizontal box. left_label and right_label. I'd like the first line of text in each label to be vertically aligned with each other always. But at the same time I'd like both labels to be in the center (vertical) of the box they have been placed in.

In other words, I'm looking for a gtk_misc_set_alignment that will allow me to pass a 3rd and 4th option - the child's reference coordinates.

Does anyone know how to align the labels like that?

Here is some sample code: http://en.pastebin.ca/1735728

thanks,

Vikram.