Re: Glib cross compilation

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 06:17:01PM -0800, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> I'd consider the necessity to create .cache file manually as a bug.

I consider your definition of bug weird.

> I.e. from the document it's clear that for the majority of target OSes
> good defaults are the same, and for others they are though different, but
> know.
>
> So, 'configure' should create such a file automatically, and only if
> automatically created file is wrong, user should specify .cache file on
> 'configure' command line.

It would be definitely nice if the developers of all packages have
detailed knowledge of all platforms people might cross-compile their
software for and maintained a database of configuration values for these
platforms in the package.  But that they don't is hardly a *bug*.

To include such thing in the package someone who actually cross-compiles
it must come and offer the known working confiuration for a specific
platform.  Did you and was it rejected?

Moreover, the only way to tell that a configuration value is wrong is to
deploy to the target platform and verify the behaviour there.  Which
means you should revise the config in any case.

Yeti