Re: GTK+ 2.21.6

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM, Jose Aliste <jose aliste gmail com> wrote:
>
>> After looking at the git log, you interpret correctly, but  I fail to
>> see why do you perceive this as being bad. So, some GDK API is marked
>> as deprecated, it seems fair to me that Gtk+ maintainers ensure the
>> deprecated API is not used in gtk+ itself anymore. It is also a good
>> test that you are not deprecating something that can't be deprecated
>> (i.e. there is no equivalent functionality in cairo).
>
> i think you missed my point. this is not about the deprecations. its
> about the fact that 2.22 will contain a complete reimplemenation of
> the GDK draw routines. this is happening in a branch this is
> supposedly "stable". i don't understand how this can reconciled. no
> API is changed in order for this to happen, but the implementations
> are all new. existing programs will compile and run, but if linked
> against 2.22 they will be testing an implementation that was (i
> thought) aimed at the 3.0 release line. surely this stuff that should
> be in 2.90 ?

aha, now I understand and I believe  you are missing something here.
AFAIK, the Gdk draw functions are NOT being reimplemented. The only
thing that has  happened (if I understand correctly after reading some
of the commits in git) is that the Gtk+ methods
that before used the deprecated GDK API  now use the cairo API instead.

Greetings

José