Re: GTK+ 2.21.6

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 1:12 PM, Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Behdad Esfahbod
> <behdad esfahbod gmail com> wrote:
>> On 08/18/10 12:50, Paul Davis wrote:

>>> i wasn't really worried about the deprecations. replacing the
>>> implementation of all internal drawing methods is OK to do in a stable
>>> branch?
>>
>> From what I understand reading the thread, that's your wrong impression.  The
>> rendering-cleanup branch is NOT being merged into 2.22.  Just that some new
>> functions where added, and some old ones marked deprecated.  You are imagining
>> things that are simply not true.
>
> the announcement declared:
>
> Overview of Changes from GTK+ 2.21.5 to 2.21.6
>
> * Most drawing done by GTK+ itself has been ported from
>  GDK drawing APIs to cairo
>
> did I interpret that incorrectly?

After looking at the git log, you interpret correctly, but  I fail to
see why do you perceive this as being bad. So, some GDK API is marked
as deprecated, it seems fair to me that Gtk+ maintainers ensure the
deprecated API is not used in gtk+ itself anymore. It is also a good
test that you are not deprecating something that can't be deprecated
(i.e. there is no equivalent functionality in cairo).

Please observe that many of the deprecated API (maybe all?) were
already using cairo internally, so, as it has been  already pointed
out,
you probably don't need to worry that much. Of course if gtk-2.22 DOES
eventually broke something for you, then you should raise your voice
high and complain ;)

Greets

José