Re: Compiling gtk libraries and gcc

On Sat, September 19, 2009 1:06 am, Matthew Talbert wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Marco Vittorini Orgeas <marco mavior eu>
> wrote:
>> Marco Vittorini Orgeas <marco <at> mavior.eu> writes:
>>

>>> I don't know how to explain...its gtk interface doesn't look the same
>>> as the
>>> others gtk programs that links to the system gtk library...it seems
>>> like a bit
>>> more rudimental ...like and old gtk 1 interface.....(don't know how to
>>> explain
>>> here maybe a screenshot would help). As I have no precedent experience
>>> with
>>> compilation of gtk programs...do I need to specify some particular
>>> compile time
>>> option to gtk to have the interface looks the same as the modern one I
>>> see on
>>> all other "xfce" debian programs (I'm trying to compile xfce terminal
>>> 0.4)?
>>>
>>> thanks again
>
> It seems most likely to me that it's using the default gtk theme
> engine rather than the one you're used to seeing. That doesn't mean
> that there is anything wrong, just that you need to install a theme +
> engine for whatever you want it to look like. I don't know if any
> other themes are available by default, but you can specify the theme
> by modifying /opt/etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc.
>
> Matthew

Yes, THANK you very much!
This was indeed the "problem": as soon as I installed
gtk-xfce-engine-2.6.0 inside the new gtk libs and restarted my apps, they
have taken the same theme as the others.

Also, coming back to my original question: does people here reccommend any
other safer methods to run in parallel different version of gtk libs, or
the only one is compile and store all under a folder far away from the
system's paths ?

thank you again for the support,

--
Marco Vittorini Orgeas