Re: Compiling gtk libraries and gcc

On Fri, September 18, 2009 4:54 pm, Javier Jardón wrote:
> Hello Marco,
> I'm not a expert, so maybe there is a better ways to do this.
> I have this in my .bashrc: (I install the programs/libraries in ~/local)
> export PATH=~/local/bin:~/bin:${PATH}
> export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=~/local/lib/pkgconfig/:${PKG_CONFIG_PATH}
> Then, when I want to compile something, I use
> ./autogen --prefix=/home/jjardon/local
> and then
> make; make install
> to compile (It will use the libraries manually installed in ~/local)
> and install the program in ~/local
> Hope helps,
> --
> Javier Jardón Cabezas

Hi Javier,
I have made that :
mkdir /opt/local/,
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig/:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH
export PATH=/opt/local/bin/:$PATH

then I compiled glib and gtk with --prefix=/opt/local/
gtk complain about it was missing the new gtk libs even if pkfconfig
reported the latest.
So i needed to issue  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib/ before
configure it.

I've installed also my software under /opt/local/.

Result: the software is running but its look and feel is all but not seems like the x11 xterm,like if was not able to dinamically load
the right libraries...
On this, I got this message after installing gtk:

Libraries have been installed in:

If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
     during execution
   - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
     during linking
   - use the `-Wl,-rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
   - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/'

See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
more information, such as the ld(1) and manual pages.

Can this be related to my problem?

How can I prooced/debug now?

thank you very much.

Marco Vittorini Orgeas