Re: Compiling gtk libraries and gcc

Marco Vittorini Orgeas <marco <at> mavior.eu> writes:

> Hi,
> I need to compile a software which requires a recent version of the GTK
> library.
> Being on debian stable, I am in the process of compiling from source the
> gtk library which doesn't have a large set a of dependencies(just his
> glib). My wish is to keep things well contained, so as suggested here
> http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/unstable/gtk-building.html I am
> compiling all the code under /opt (/opt/gtk /opt/glib).
> When I try to compile the software which need those libraries I seem to be
> just not able to tell gcc that it needs to compile against libraries under
> /opt and not against the system ones under /usr/lib.
>
> The strange fact is that the configure command execute without any
> problems,but then when I issue the "make" command it complains about
> "undefined reference to `gtk_orientable_set_orientation'"
> sign that is using system old gtk library.
>
> I tried also to export ,before issue the configure command, adjusted
> CPPFLAGS,LDFLAGS,PKG_CONFIG_PATH pointing them respectively to folders
> under /opt/gtk/ /opt/glib etc...but it seems to have no effect (I read in
> another post that: "LD_LIBRARY_PATH is  not needed when later running the
> built software due to libtool's use of  rpaths").
>
> So,what is the right way to tell gcc (make) to use one or another library
> path when your system has two installed, one of which under /usr/lib and
> so will probably be used by default ?
>
> Also is there any recommended way to act in situations like that, when you
> need a different version of a lib , and want to keep the system's one to
> prevent breaking the system ? Put all in an isolate folder under /home or
> /opt would be enough ?
>
> At run-time are there any risks that the software choose the wrong .so
> objects to load in memory from the system path? If it is compiled against
> the right path, even if shared I think not....
>
> Thank you for any clarification,
>
> Keep me CC'ed please,
>
> Marco Vittorini Orgeas

At the moment I'm reading this thread here
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.gtk+.general/20951 which could be
relatively connected to my problems and I admit that it's just not making a lot
of sense.

So,just for simplify the argument,at the end of the story I would reformulate
the question:

I need to install in parallel to my system gtk "old" libraries a newer version
of gtk libraries, because I need to compile against it a software:

how can I proceed to let only "that" software using the newer libraries without
messing all the system and so maintaining all separate ?

I would be very glad if you can provide some simple/short example making the
assumption that for example I would install the newer versions of GTK under /opt.

I hope the question is a bit more clearer now.

thanks again