Re: GtkTreeView unbearably slow

On Dec 28, 2009, at 1:39 AM, Vikram Noel Ambrose wrote:
> I went through my code commenting/uncommenting pieces until I got it as fast as Andy's version. There were many small things that gave me a few percent speed increase, but the big boost came from the absence of "gtk_tree_view_set_grid_lines". With this setting included, like I said earlier, I get several seconds delay between the mouse scroll wheel and the GtkTreeView, however with this setting removed, the delay is only a few milliseconds.
>
> I tried various combinations of styling settings and can confirm that on my machine the absence of _grid_lines translates to a 10x speed increase in scrolling responsiveness on GtkTreeView.

That is an interesting observation.  Especially since other people do not seem to observe such a large speed difference.  It would be good to know whether this speed difference is caused by Clearlooks and what part of Clearlooks is responsible for this.  (While clearlooks is the default theme engine on Ubuntu, it is not the "default GTK+ theme engine").

regards,

-kris.