Re: GtkTreeView unbearably slow

> And you actually observe several seconds long lags during scrolling
> with this sample program?
>
> Well, I am not able to reproduce it -- on a notebook.  The scolling
> indeed lags behind a bit which is observable especially if I maximize
> the window, but that's all.

I'm using rather old hardware, clocked at 800MHz at the moment. It
doesn't take several seconds, but it is slow/jerky enough to be
annoying. Maybe this isn't considered an issue for GTK+, I don't know.
It might be more of an issue on embedded systems such as smart phones or
netbooks.

One interesting thing I noticed is that it runs very smoothly as long as
I scroll small amounts. If I drag the handle faster it takes a long time
to update the screen. I think this might be due to resource starvation
because the screen drawing runs at a lower priority than some other
callback, but I'm not sure about this.

If I drag the scroll handle and then don't release the mouse button it
seems to lose the last mouse_move event as well. That is, the window
doesn't finish scrolling until I release the button.

I'm trying to run the example program and gtk though gprof to see if I
can get some details on what's taking so long.. I'll let you know if I
come up with anything.