Re: GtkTreeView unbearably slow

jcupitt gmail com wrote:
Hi Vikram,

2009/12/27 Vikram Noel Ambrose <noel ambrose gmail com>:
Why is GtkTreeView so horrendously slow compared to... QTreeView for
example?

I think you need to give more information. What is slow, exactly?
Scrolling? Adding rows? Sorting by colums? Resizing? How are you
measuring speed? Do you have some example code that demonstrates poor
performance?

Sorry for not being clear earlier. I was referring to scrolling of the treeview. Scrolling of the GtkTreeView is visibly slow.

I'm using a GtkTreeView with about 5 columns, all small text strings. Using
GtkTextCellRenderer. A couple thousand rows.

That doesn't sound like a large data set, you'd think it would be
pretty quick. Synaptic (to pick one example) has a treeview with
~30,000 rows and performs acceptably (for me).

John

When you scroll the widget, the text lags behind as if the scroll was elastic. The response between the mouse scroll wheel and the widget can be measured in seconds.

Here is a sample program that reflects the issues I'm having: http://en.pastebin.ca/1728846

The sample program simply creates a top level window with a scrolled_window and treeview. It only lists 5000 rows.

On that note, why does GtkTreeView become slower as the number of rows increases, while there is no such correlation in QTreeView?

thanks,

Vik.