Re: checking for memory leaks in gtk

>On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 2:03 PM,  <jcupitt gmail com> wrote:
> 2008/5/15 Harinandan S <harinandans gmail com>:
>>  On DirectFB backend i used DirectFB 1.1.1 with GTK+ 2.12.2. Is there
>>  any issues with using these versions since i am able to observe huge
>>  leaks on DirectFB backend. Is there any possibility of build procedure
>>  going wrong somewhere while building it for Davinci?
>
> Why not install directfb on your x86 linux machine? You could use valgrind then.

I am still not able to get GTK on DirectFB on a x86 linux machine to
work. I got DirectFB to work with X backend but when i run GTK on
DirectFB its reporting errors that Missing layers! Layers not found.

Anyway, I digged some more details about the leak. When i stepped
through the code i found that gdk_window_destroy_notify function in
gdkwindow-directfb.c which is called when the window is really gone is
not being called.

I also found a quite old bug which exactly resembles what I am observing:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2006-December/msg00048.html

Has the above issue been fixed?

I also noticed that memory leak is occuring only when window is being
destroyed. Earlier I created a window when button is pressed and
destroyed it when another button on newly created window is pressed. I
modified it such that instead of creating another window when button
is pressed i destroyed the contents of old window and created the
contents of new window. When i run this modified application I find
that there's no memory leak.

It means that window destroy operation is not happening properly. Do I
need to do anything different to destroy a window? I just did
gtk_widget_destroy(window);

I am using GTK 2.12.2 on DirectFB 1.1.1 on TI Davinci.

Thanks and Regards,
Harinandan