RE: Theme Engine, What is it?

Thanks. I dont like to apply non-standard window decorations as well but users like it. I think i better give up on skinning the tittlebar.  Anyway, more questions regrading the theme selection. How to override the default theme selected by GTK+? and what the function of theme engine ?

> Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 10:45:14 +0200
> From: tml iki fi
> To: evert_chin hotmail com
> Subject: Re: Theme Engine, What is it?
> CC: gtk-list gnome org
>
> > How can I skin the titlebar of my application with selected theme?
>
> If you are talking about GTK+ themes, you can't. GTK+ themes only
> affect how the GTK+ widgets look. Title bars and other window
> decorations are drawn by the window manager or other mechanism of the
> windowing system. Through GTK+ you can only ask the windowing system
> to leave out some functionality for a window, like the possibility to
> minimize a window, resize it, show a title bar, etc. But you can't
> affect how the decorations look. You need to use some window manager
> or windowing system tweaks for that.
>
> (Personally I hate applications that use nonstandard window
> decorations, like all the silly media players out there,)
>
> That said, as you are on Windows, if you search you will find various
> 3rd-party software that can be used to tweak how the decorations of
> some windows look. However, GTK+ doesn't support using such 3rd-party
> "enhancements". What this means is that if it you do use such and it
> breaks GTK+, I doubt anybody will be interested in "fixing" GTK+. You
> will have to make sure yourself that what you do doesn't break GTK+.
>
> --tml

Express yourself and stay connected with the latest Windows Live Messenger! Windows Live Messenger