Re: gtk install problems

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 01:58 -0400, Peter wrote:
> Paul,
> All the installs were the defaults for the installs.  I didn't do
> anything strange.
>
> I do not know what ABI stands for but I would like to know.
> Application... bridging interface?  That seems redundant.
>
> As I said, I do think I have conflicting versions of libraries
> somewhere although I have tried to go through and ensure only one of
> each.

> But I think the real hint here is that its only certain applications
> that fail and generally with the same issues.  For instance, right now
> I'm running firefox as it was installed from a package in the
> enlightenment window manager as I compiled and installed after these
> issues occurred.

If you have re-compiled X and compiled gtk+ and its dependencies in the
default prefix, that would have put them in the /usr/local prefix.  At
the same time you will have X from your distribution (any any other
system software you tried to recompile) installed in either /usr
or /usr/X11R6.  When you try to launch a program it will be picking up
the wrong libraries.

There is no reason why you should have needed to recompile X.  You could
try deleting everything under /usr/local and get the pre-installed
libraries from your distribution working again, if need be by
reinstalling your distribution from CDROM/DVD.

You then need to find out what dependencies for gtk+ your distribution
does not have precompiled, and just install those from source.

Note that if you install from source in /usr/local, you will have to
make sure that /usr/local/lib is specified in /etc/ld.so.conf (and run
ldconfig whenever you change /etc/ld.so.conf), and that PKG_CONFIG_PATH
contains a reference to /usr/local/lib/pkgconfig.  If it doesn't, you
can deal with it by doing:

  export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

before running ./configure on that shell.

It is quite unusual for a distribution not to come with gtk+
precompiled.  Most do, even if they do not come with GNOME.

Chris