Re: gtk install problems

Thank you for the suggestion but honestly I just want to get my system
fixed the way it is right now.  In addition, there may be some kind of
bug in gtk/glib and at the very least there is some poor error
reporting.

On 5/10/07, Sergei Steshenko <sergstesh yahoo com> wrote:

--- Peter <peterbohning gmail com> wrote:

> I accidentally hit tab and return I think, sorry...
>
> On 5/10/07, Peter <peterbohning gmail com> wrote:
> > I recently compiled and installed the latest version of gtk because
> > another program needed it and I ended up recompiling and reinstalling
> > all of X, glib, atk, pango, etc.  Most of the applications on my
> > machine aren't working.  I've been experimenting trying to figure out
> > the problem.
> >
> > The program in the source of gtk at tests/simple.c has been my guinea pig.
> >
> > First, I get "Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_set_title: assertion `title
> > != NULL' failed" with a segmentation fault.  If I add
> > g_set_application_name("simple"); before gtk_init(). then that error
> > goes away.
> >
> > Second, if the line
> > "button=g_object_connect(gtk_widget_new(gtk_button_get_type(),
> > "GtkButton::label", "hello world", "GtkWidget::parent", window,
> > "GtkWidget::visible", TRUE, NULL), "signal::clicked", hello, NULL,
> > NULL);
> >  is commented out, then simple runs fine.  But if its not, then I get:
> >
> > GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2242: initialization assertion
> > failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function
> >
> > twice and then
> >
> > GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_register_static: assertion
> >
> `parent_type > 0' failed
> GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT
> (object_type)' failed
>
> and then a segmentation fault.
>
> There's also an initial pango warning that it can't find pangorc in my
> home directory.  I went to the trouble of adding a pangorc file to
> /usr/local/etc/pango I think with the location of that pango.modules
> file since one was not installed.
>
> I'm not sure if this is some version mismatch or a localization thing
> or what but its driving me nuts.  The error messages aren't helpful,
> none of the configure scripts complained about anything missing, and
> I'm at wits end trying to solve this.
>
> In addition, these types of errors seem like they're all over the web
> but there's no solution to any of them.  They usually seem to occur
> when people mix and match the wrong packages.
>
> At any rate, I'm totally lost.

In order to avoid problems like the ones you've described I've developed my
AppsFromScratch - I can send you the latest version if you are interested.

The tool builds and installs everything locally, not using root permissions,
so integrity of your system is preserved.

For example, gtk+ plus (as any other target supported by my tool) is built
using one, maybe two commands - all dependencies are build first automatically.

Regards,
  Sergei.

P.S. This is the list of targets my tool currently builds:

aspell-0.60.4
atk-1.12.1
at-spi-1.6.6
audiofile-0.2.6