Re: gtk install problems

I accidentally hit tab and return I think, sorry...

On 5/10/07, Peter <peterbohning gmail com> wrote:
I recently compiled and installed the latest version of gtk because
another program needed it and I ended up recompiling and reinstalling
all of X, glib, atk, pango, etc.  Most of the applications on my
machine aren't working.  I've been experimenting trying to figure out
the problem.

The program in the source of gtk at tests/simple.c has been my guinea pig.

First, I get "Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_window_set_title: assertion `title
!= NULL' failed" with a segmentation fault.  If I add
g_set_application_name("simple"); before gtk_init(). then that error
goes away.

Second, if the line
"button=g_object_connect(gtk_widget_new(gtk_button_get_type(),
"GtkButton::label", "hello world", "GtkWidget::parent", window,
"GtkWidget::visible", TRUE, NULL), "signal::clicked", hello, NULL,
NULL);
 is commented out, then simple runs fine.  But if its not, then I get:

GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2242: initialization assertion
failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function

twice and then

GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_type_register_static: assertion

`parent_type > 0' failed
GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT
(object_type)' failed

and then a segmentation fault.

There's also an initial pango warning that it can't find pangorc in my
home directory.  I went to the trouble of adding a pangorc file to
/usr/local/etc/pango I think with the location of that pango.modules
file since one was not installed.

I'm not sure if this is some version mismatch or a localization thing
or what but its driving me nuts.  The error messages aren't helpful,
none of the configure scripts complained about anything missing, and
I'm at wits end trying to solve this.

In addition, these types of errors seem like they're all over the web
but there's no solution to any of them.  They usually seem to occur
when people mix and match the wrong packages.

At any rate, I'm totally lost.