Re: gtk or pygtk

On 6/14/07, Michael L Torrie <torriem chem byu edu> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 15:44 -0300, Alexandre Moreira wrote:

> Exactly. If you can keep up with the weird syntax and understand what
> is going on with pointer-intensive C code, I guess you'll do pretty
> well with C Gtk+. I like it better than other bindings, but that is a
> matter of taste.
>
> I believe you should check other options too, Gtkmm seems to be pretty
> good for C++ programmers and I heard good things of Gtk# if you don't
> mind using the Mono runtime.
>
> That said, keep in mind that the amount of code needed to write basic
> stuff in C Gtk+ is pretty big, so you would be happy to write or have
> a few boiler-plate generator scripts (take a look at GOB2 and spuug).

Yeah, the problem is I usually write Gtk+ based files in a pure OO
design (I often do lots of UML modelling before writing code) so I
need to write a ton of GObject classes.

libglade is very nice to reduce boiler-plate C code.  Actually I use
libglade in all my languages, which right now are C, C++, Python, and
C#.

If you want to make your own gobject-based class files, either for your
own purposes or to extend a Gtk Widget, GOB2 is nice.  Another thing to
check out is vala[1].  vala is getting more and more useful at building
Gobject-based code using a language that's very much like c#, but
compiles directly to C code, allowing your classes to be trivially
wrapped and used in any language that has GTK bindings.

Vala is just great. I just with the guys (Jürg and the others) had
more support from the rest of the Gtk+ community. I think this would
be a great addition to the Gtk+/Gnome development platform. I've been
following their development for the last 6 months and I just love
it... I disagree with a few things here and there and normally write
pure C files just because I'm used to it. People really should take a
look at it.

Python's GTK bindings make it very easy to extend an existing GTK class,
but you can't typically use the extended classes outside of python.
Well that's not completely true.  Using the python C extension API, you
can easily use the classes from C or C++, but it's not quite the same
thing as what vala does.

Michael

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Vala