Re: gtk or pygtk

On 6/14/07, Michael L Torrie <torriem chem byu edu> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 02:45 -0700, varun_shrivastava wrote:
> hi
> i want to know whether gtk
> is better or pygtk is better
>
> in terms of programming, execution time etc.

You're asking the wrong question.  What I think you're asking is, which
is a better language to use for GTK development? C or Python?  Or C++
(GTKmm) or Java (Java-gnome)?  That's not really a GTK-specific
question; it's more of a language preference question.

In my opinion, Python is the only way to fly for building the GUI
components of apps.  The cpu-intensive things probably need to be done
in C or C++. Fortunately with Python it is very easy to mix C and Python
code.  Using GTK in Python (with the pygtk bindings) is very nice.

That said, GTK development in straight C is actually not bad at all.
GTK's structure is very object-oriented and easy to use.

Exactly. If you can keep up with the weird syntax and understand what
is going on with pointer-intensive C code, I guess you'll do pretty
well with C Gtk+. I like it better than other bindings, but that is a
matter of taste.

I believe you should check other options too, Gtkmm seems to be pretty
good for C++ programmers and I heard good things of Gtk# if you don't
mind using the Mono runtime.

That said, keep in mind that the amount of code needed to write basic
stuff in C Gtk+ is pretty big, so you would be happy to write or have
a few boiler-plate generator scripts (take a look at GOB2 and spuug).

Regards,
Alexandre Moreira.