Re: GTK help for newbie noob

Hey,

This is the opinion of a fellow newb, but I think it may help.

Looking at GTK as it if were C can be very confusing, because GTK
doesn't make much sense from a pure-C perspective. GTK is a pseudo-OO
language, so thinking of the syntax as a very mangled form of Python
or C++ may help.

So a call such as (from the GTK tutorial: http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/c39.html)

Can be thought of as an object creator. A signal:

g_signal_connect (G_OBJECT (window), "delete_event",
		      G_CALLBACK (delete_event), NULL);

Is sort of like a dynamic method creator. Give the object (window) a
new method that activates on a "delete_event" and calls the function
delete_event.

You said:

I am trying to work my way through the pygtk tutorial but I feel like I am
just memorizing bit and pieces of information without understand the
underlying rules.

Honestly, that's fine. As you memorize bits and pieces, the underlying
rules will start to come into focus. You'll start to see patterns, and
once you know a few patterns you'll be able to look at something
unfamiliar and say, "We'll, I know what this bit means, and this looks
like that other thing." Anything you still don't recognize is just an
API document away.

That's my two cents.

-Adam

Thanks for your time Mariano.

I am not sure if I am using the correct terminology here. By syntax I mean
the grammar of the language. Since GTK is written in C I tried reading
through some tutorials on C syntax to get an understanding of how the
language is laid out. I was not really able to see the correlation between
the C syntax and GTK's.

I am trying to work my way through the pygtk tutorial but I feel like I am
just memorizing bit and pieces of information without understand the
underlying rules.

The problem here may be that I am a dumbass. I will try to continue
studying.

Thanks again-Patrick