Re: gtk-config regarding

Yiannis wrote:
Hi,
On 21 Dec 2005 07:45:37 -0000, Bala Murugan <leadbala rediffmail com> wrote:

Hi gtk users developpers,
Iam new to LINUX and I am using suse 10 in my intel based box. I wish to
install a molecular dynamics program ghemica (from open source community) I
got the following error:
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
configure: error: Cannot find proper gtk version

I dont know how suse works, but with redhat (or systems that
use rpm), you usually have a "package.rpm" and a "package-devel.rpm".

The typical user isnt going to compile stuff on his/her machine,
so they dont need gtk+ header files etc (i.e. the -devel.rpm package).

The program you want to install needs to have the old GTK+-1.2
libraries, the devel package of GTK+-1.2 will have the gtk-config
program which will report the current version etc... installing
GTK+-1.2 (development files) will fix your problem

Just remember, if you dont have GTK+-1.2 devel files, you probably
dont have the header files etc for any other libraries that your
program requires, so you'll need header files etc for every library
that your program depends on.

Cheers,
                          -Tristan