gtk-config regarding

Hi gtk users developpers,
Iam new to LINUX and I am using suse 10 in my intel based box. I wish to install a molecular dynamics program ghemica (from open source community) I got the following error:
bio-42:/home/bala/2downloads/ghemical-gms-1.01.07 # ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for ar... /usr/bin/ar
checking for sh... /bin/sh
checking for gtk-config... no
checking for GTK - version >= 0.99.7... no
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
configure: error: Cannot find proper gtk version
bio-42:/home/bala/2downloads/ghemical-gms-1.01.07 #
when I issued rpm -qa gtk I have recieved the following;
gtk-1.2.10-888
I have installed developer packages too to the system.
Could anybody guide me from this point.
Thanks in advance.

Yours truly,
P.BalaMurugan.

"Science is built up of facts, as a house is built up of stones,but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house"-Henri Poincare