Re: gtk-config regarding

Hi,
On 21 Dec 2005 07:45:37 -0000, Bala Murugan <leadbala rediffmail com> wrote:

Hi gtk users developpers,
Iam new to LINUX and I am using suse 10 in my intel based box. I wish to install a molecular dynamics program ghemica (from open source community) I got the following error:
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
configure: error: Cannot find proper gtk version

first of all this is not a question regarding Gtk... You better ask such a question on a linux forum.... simply because you will get much more help and much faster.... In a few words if you are coming from windows.... then you would have probably heard about the registry.... Well, let's say for a minute that Linux has such  a registry as well, but has nothing to do with the windows one.... This is simply a file that tells your system where to find some things.... This registry depends on your shell (yes that thing that looks like a dos command line). Let's say for a min that you are using a bash shell... Then you should have a .bashrc file, .bash_history, maybe a .bash_profile, etc... Have a look at them and probably you want to edit the .bashrc. You need to set some environment variables.
So for example the warning saying to add PREFIX/bin would be and assume that your prefix (ie the path you installed gtk) is: /home/foo/gtk/bin. You shoudl add to your "registry" file the following:
PATH=$PATH:/home/foo/gtk/bin

and then either "resource" the file
$ source <filename>
or close down the shell and open a new one....
Similary you need to setup the other environment variables such as the CPATH and C_INCLUDE_PATH, LIBRARY_PATH and LIBRARY, and maybe some others needed by your program. Better if you post your questions to a linux forum (eg. www.linuxquestions.org OR www.linuxforum.com OR www.linuxforums.org just to name a few)

--
-- Yiannis