use Gtk+ in phone devices

Hi,

We launched a project recently and want to develop an open source Linux smart phones based on Gtk+. It seems that there are some things need to do to tune Gtk+ to suit for phone devices and one of them is how to navigate and manipulate Gtk+ widgets using the limited buttons in phone keypad.

As you know, usually there exist the following key buttons in phone keypad:

Two function keys used to manipulate menu; Up/down/left/right arrow keys; Ok key; Call/hangup keys;

Among the keys listed above, only arrow keys and Ok key will be used for widgets navigation and manipulation and keybinding is not acceptable. Therefore, my questions would be:

1. Do you guys think it is necessary to modify the source code of widgets in order to tune the widgets' behavior suitable for navigation in phone devices?

2. Which way of modification is easier to be accepted upstream by Gtk+, say, adding a new configuration option to Gtk+ and adding #ifdef to the source code of widgets?

Regards

Yu Yijun