Re: Install problem on 2.4.0 - missing fontconfig

Hello Dave!

Yes fontconfig and freetype come with XFree86 4.4.0. I just did a tar ball of /usr/X11R6 as backup. The installation tool that comes with 4.4.0 seems to pretty robust and first checks if you have all necessary packages downloaded.

Another thing I had to do after installing pango was that the pkgconfig file for pangoxft was missing a -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lfontconfig. Did that happen to others, too? Without it, linking fails and the configure script for gtk-2.4.0 bails out with an error that it needs pango installed. On my system, X11R6 resides in /usr, and all other packages are under /usr/local. I setup the PKG_CONFIG_PATH such that pkg-config looks into both directories, i.e. pkg-config --list-all prints the packages under both directories. Is this an installation bug in pango?

Kind regards,

   Steffen

Dave Smith wrote:

Hi Steffen,

My system doesn't have any version of fontconfig installed. Is a fontconfig binary included as part of XFree86 4.4.0? Do you happen to have a list of all of the directories and files that need to be backed up and reinstalled on the updated system (in addition to XF86Config and xinitrc)?

Best regards,

Dave