Re: Install problem on 2.4.0 - missing fontconfig

Hi Steffen,

After some work, I found:

* XFree86 4.4.0 does not include fontconfig.
* GTK+-2.4.0 still would not load (no fontconfig).
* 4.4.0 obsoleted my hand edited "/etc/X11/XF86Config" file (dual screens,
keyboards, mice, etc.) and it would take some time to figure out how to
create a proper working version in the 4.4.0 format.
* 4.4.0 also modified such things as the startup procedure, the printer setup,
various preferences, etc.
* Thank goodness for the recommended backup procedures in the 4.4.0
documentation so that the original setup could be restored quickly.
* I was subsequently able to load fontconfig 2.2.2 on the original setup after
first loading freetype 2.1.4 (2.2.2 is apparently sensitive to the freetype
version - not too old and not too new).  This fixed the missing fontconfig
problem in the pango configuration script, but it then complained that it
couldn't find Xft.
* Xft doesn't seem to be available by itself.

Given that others have a similar problem with a missing Xft system
(http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-list/2004-March/msg00153.html)
I have decided to stick with 2.2.4 until I have time to upgrade Linux to a
newer distribution that includes the required files - if the system's basic
setup/configuration needs to be redefined anyway, why not upgrade everything
at the same time?  Does anyone know which Linux distributions will load 2.4.0
starting from a clean installation?

Best regards,

Dave