Re: why is gtk install so difficult?

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 17:45, Tara Milana wrote:

> Well I really feel that GTK 2 can be (should be) compiled
> from source on a Redhat 6 platform. I really don't want to
> have a (long, *ugh*) meeting with my developers and spend
> the next few months reviewing the issues of upgrading.

Well, I think that's really not a meeting that you can avoid
having; Red Hat 6.2 reached its end-of-life last spring:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-watch-list/2003-April/msg00004.html

I'm quite confident that gtk2 can be built on Red Hat 6; after
all, we did a fair chunk of the initial development on Red Hat 6.
(Red Hat 7 was released in September 2000, GTK+-2.0.0 came out
in March 2002)

But the question, really, is, why are you spending time trying
to diagnose bugs that were fixed *years* ago; at best you are
simply duplicating effort.

If you developers are working on products for customers, they aren't
going to be deploying on Red Hat 6 at this point, since we no longer
sell, support or maintain it.

Regards,
					Owen