Re: why is gtk install so difficult?

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 20:17, Tara Milana wrote:

> Most of the things installed are from packages, the new
> GTK 2 software is installed from source though.

What about freetype, Xft, pkg-config?

So far in my spare time I've managed to get pkg-config built and and rpm
created.  In order to do that, though, I had to install redhat 7.3's
autoconf* and automake* and libtool*.  Otherwise I got libtool errors
(not sure at this stage if the newer autoconf and automake libraries are
really needed).  Now I'm building glib2.  It builds fine, but for some
reason the shared libraries get built without the .so extension.
Definitely a libtool problem.

I will ultimately be successful, and the rpms I make will work on redhat
6.2, but may require the newer libtool.

In any case, I don't believe you can realistically expect support
building gtk2 on such an old build platform (old libtool, etc).  I would
expect you to consider RedHat 7.3 the bare mininum, probably at least
8.0 would be more realistic.  But I will happily share my rpms with
you.  Give me a few more days.

Michael