Re: why is gtk install so difficult?

On Sat, 2003-10-18 at 22:01, Tara Milana wrote:

> Oh Micheal, I _was_ just being general. I thought we were
> talking about the issues encompassing (plaguing) the
> installation methods.

Hopefully this won't sound negative.  I understand your frustration and
the frustations of others.  But the frustrating thing for me is that I
have no information on which to help you (other than the configure dump,
which is helpful).  I asked for specifics precisely because there the
issues don't seem to be plaguing gtk as you suggest, just specific cases
where you install the libraries a certain way.  We need to know what
distro you're compiling for, since there are a whole range of possible
causes such as compiler version, binutils version, glibc version, etc.
The most probably cause is a conflict with a binary version of gtk or
the dependent libraries.

> My particular problem was with compiling gdk-pixbuf, I
> posted the problem earlier.

Did you ever solve that?  Tell us what exact distro you are using, how
you installed all the libraries (which ones you compiled from source,
and which were rpms or packaged).  What version of gcc did you use?  Be
very specific.  Once we can solve the problem in this specific instance,
we'll probably have the general knowlege to solve it in other instances.

> But there are other users who might still have other
> problems.

Agreed.  If you solved your compile issue, please post how you solved
it.

Michael