Re: why is gtk install so difficult?

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 15:12, Tara Milana wrote:
> Dear Micheal, what concearns me is the number of problems
> other users are having with GTK. I am the head programmer
> for WPE and we maintain over a dozen programs, none of which
> have the amount of problems I've seen when I resigned on to
> this list.

The problems you are experiencing are not GTK problems per se.  They are
build environment problems.   So in order to solve this I need to know
specifics about your build environment.  What distro?  What compiler
version?  Binutils?  What libraries were installed in binary packages?
Which ones did you build from source (glib, pango, atk, pkg-config)?
Where did your source-compiled libraries go to (/usr, /usr/local)?
Looks to me like there is a conflict between some binary installed
libraries and your source-compiled ones.  Please answer these
questions.  In particular I need to know about pkg-config, glib, atk and
pango.  If you haven't compiled at least glib, atk and pango from
source, then you cannot compile gtk from source (at least given the
error message you got).

Your concerns are all well and good, but without knowing these things,
you will not get an answer and you will go away frustrated and probably
blame the unhelpful GTK developers and get a bad taste in your mouth for
open source development.  For this I am truly sorry.  I personally have
tried very hard to help you, but you refuse to give me any details that
might help here (although you did mention you upgraded the binutils).

I can assure you, that GTK does in fact build cleanly on a sane system.
I've done it numerous times.

If you just tell me what distro you're trying to build on, I'll make you
RPMS from a clean system.

> Anyways, the problem that I had was an unusual one, one
> that none of my programmers nor myself have come across.
> The problem occures with gdk-pixbuf:

>         gcc -shared  .libs/gdk-pixbuf.o .libs/gdk-pixbuf-animation.o
> .libs/gdk-pixbuf-data.o .libs/gdk-pixbuf-io.o .libs/gdk-pixbuf-loader.o
> .libs/gdk-pixbuf-scale.o .libs/gdk-pixbuf-util.o .libs/gdk-pixdata.o
> .libs/gdk-pixbuf-enum-types.o -Wl,--whole-archive pixops/.libs/libpixops.a
> -Wl,--no-whole-archive  -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl
> /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so -lm
> -Wl,--export-dynamic -Wl,-soname -Wl,libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
> -Wl,-version-script -Wl,.libs/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.ver -o
> .libs/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0.200.4
> /usr/bin/ld: anonymous version tag cannot be combined with other version
> tags
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[1]: *** [libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.la] Error 1

Looks like a problem with the installed glib library, since it's the
only library in that list that's not being build in this compile run.
Did you compile the glib library yourself?

I am positive that we can solve this, and probably very quickly two.

Michael