Re: Where the hell is gtk-config?

On 7 Apr 2003, Owen Taylor wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 21:41, Frank Hrebabetzky wrote:
> > So I'll tell you what I did this sunday. Tried to install gnome-libs-1.4.2
> > from source. ./configure ended with the lines
> >
> > --- snip ---
> > *** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
> > *** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> > *** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
> > *** full path to gtk-config.
> > configure: error: GTK not installed
> >
> > But GTK is installed. I searched the GTK directory for a file named
> > gtk-config - nothing. PREFIX: same. I searched /usr - nothing. I searched
> > the web - nothing I could understand. Finally I installed the whole chain
> > of programs again:
> >
> > pkgconfig-0.15.0
> > jpegsrc.v6b
> > libpng-1.2.5
> > tiff-v3.5.7
> > glib-2.2.1
> > pango-1.2.1
> > atk-1.2.0
> > gtk+-2.2.1
> >
> > Then gnome-libs - same result as above. Any hint for a better sunday next
> > week?
>
> gnome-libs-1.4 requires GTK+-1.2; you apparently only have GTK+-2.x
> installed. (GTK+-1.2 and GTK+-2.x are set up so that they can be
> installed at the same time.)
>
> Depending on what you are trying to do, it's possible that installing
> the GNOME-2.2 libraries instead would be a better solution.

That is the solution I would prefer. As I posted already, what I finally
want are some applications such as gnumeric, abiword, glade, ... . And
gnumeric points to that old gnome-libs and I didn't find a newer one. If
you could indicate one - fine. If not, I'll follow your suggestion and
install both GTK versions.

By the way, I use fvwm2.

Frank Hrebabetzky	Tel.:     +55 / 48 / 235 1106
Florianopolis			  +55 / 48 / 9998 7686
Brazil			email:	  frankh terra com br