Re: compile glib with sunpro

Ian Britten <britten caris com> writes:
> Ugh!  This strikes me as a Bad Thing, and defeats one of the
> advantages of having C libraries (Compiler independence).  We're
> developing C++ libraries, and are quite aware of having to build
> different versions of each (C++) library for each compiler.  Are you
> now saying that you expect people to do that for C code as well?
> This implies that to support two C++ compilers (sunpro + gcc), I
> need to have two versions of GTK/GLib installed?  I've never had to
> do that for any other C library before...

GLib has abstractions for various compiler-specific mechanisms
(gint64, the inline stuff, G_GNUC_PRINTF, etc.). There's no way to
support those without being compiler-specific.

Look at it this way: it's better than having lots of apps that don't
build with Sun cc at all due to using gcc extensions without the
abstractions. ;-)

FWIW it _probably_ works to build with Sun CC and then use gcc for
apps, assuming gcc supports everything Sun CC does.

> I'm going from memory here (A couple of months ago...), but I don't
> believe this is correct.  I believe that I built GTK/GLib with c89,
> but when I tried to compile against those libraries with the sunpro
> CC (C++) compiler, I continued to run into those problems (long
> long, inline, etc.)

That's a bug if it happens, if you can figure out what's going on
please file details at http://bugzilla.gnome.org. I haven't heard of
this before though.

Havoc