Re: compile glib with sunpro

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001 12:10:47 -0500
"Ford, Andy" <andyford AGEDWARDS com> wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with the sunpro compiler?

Yes - Unfortunately, it's not good... (re: GTK).
It seems that GTK doesn't play well with non-GCC compilers.
[ Maintainers - are you listening? ]

I've got the GNOME 1.2 installed from Ximian on Solaris 8, and can't use the
SUNPro compilers (CC/c89) with those libraries, only GCC.
I tried building the GTK libraries manually, using both c89 and gcc, and in
both cases, it seems that the libraries are built with gcc-specific
extensions (long long, inline, etc).
(Or, to be pedantic, new c9x features that haven't been implemented in many
compilers yet...)

I believe that I tried building GTK v1.2.8, v1.2.10, and v1.3.5, and had
similar problems with all versions.
[ Sorry, I don't remember the specific details, as I gave up on it a while
 ago...  I can probably reproduce it if anyone is interested in
 investigating/fixing it ]

Note that it isn't just the SUNPro compiler that has problems - I've had
(various) problems trying to use the native compilers on other OSs as well
(HPUX, IRIX, etc).  Things work fine as long as you use GCC - Anything else
is a Rough Ride.

Ian