Re: Glib + glib-config

jerrud <jerlin@surfcity.net> writes:
> Hi,
> I`m installing GTK+ 1.2.8 and in order to do that i have to install glib
> 1.2.8.
>
> My problem rests in that I have glib 1.2.6 installed from my
> distrobution`s install. (I`m running Storm Linux, Debian 2.2 based)
>
> So my question to you guys is:: How do i install over this older glib
> version (or uninstall, if need be) in order to install GTK+ ?

dpkg --remove glib. But it's going to complain about lots of broken
dependencies.

> The error that ./configure produces is (from GTK)::
>
> glib-config --version returned 1.2.8, but GLIB (1.2.6) was found!
>
> Then it procedes to tell me how to fix this problem, but I do not know
> how to do so...
>
> All help appreciated

If you're just developing against 1.2.8, and want to keep using
packages for applications, you want to leave 1.2.6 around. The way to
do that is to put 1.2.8 in /usr/local or /opt/gnome. Then write a
script like this:

#! /bin/bash

export C_INCLUDE_PATH=/home/hp/unst/include:$C_INCLUDE_PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/hp/unst/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export ACLOCAL_FLAGS='-I /home/hp/unst/share/aclocal'
export PATH=/home/hp/unst/bin:$PATH
exec $*

I call this script "unst" and as you can see I have installed to
--prefix=/home/hp/unst.

To use the libs in /home/hp/unst I prefix commands with "unst":

 unst ./configure
 unst make

Havoc