Glib + glib-config

Hi,
I`m installing GTK+ 1.2.8 and in order to do that i have to install glib
1.2.8.

My problem rests in that I have glib 1.2.6 installed from my
distrobution`s install. (I`m running Storm Linux, Debian 2.2 based)

So my question to you guys is:: How do i install over this older glib
version (or uninstall, if need be) in order to install GTK+ ?

The error that ./configure produces is (from GTK)::

glib-config --version returned 1.2.8, but GLIB (1.2.6) was found!

Then it procedes to tell me how to fix this problem, but I do not know
how to do so...

All help appreciated

Jerrud.