Re: [gtk-list] Re: About linking

Drazen Kacar <dave@srce.hr> writes:

> Takdir CHOWDHURY wrote:
>
> > I need some suggestions. I  am working on a program  which using
> > Object Store database.
>
> I'm not familiar with Object Store and C++ is not my strong point. I should
> be able to answer specific questions about linking, though.
>
> > CC compiler from sun has been used to compile the code.
>
> Version? And which OS versions do you intend to support?
>
> > Now I want to develop a front-end with GTK+.
> > But it seems that GTK+'s code doesn't fit with CC compiler.
>
> No, it's a C code. C++ compiler cannot compile C code in general case,
> although I suppose you could patch it up to be C++ friendly. But even if
> it compiles with one C++ compiler, that doesn't mean it will compile
> with another. The level of standards compliance still varies greatly in
> the C++ world. And Sun's C++ compilers are not the world's leaders
> in this respect.

Just to clarify, you can _write_ GTK+ code that can be compiled
with a C++ compiler; you just can't compile GTK+ itself with
a C++ compiler. So, if you have access to Sun's cc compiler, then
you should be able to compile GTK+ with that, and your code
with CC and then link the two together.

Regards,
                                        Owen