Re: porting between GUIs

>From a disgusted user fo "other" GUI's I'll give you my opinion
of each that I've played with:

wxWindows :  I had very good potential but has degraded into a package of
fluff, where the basics are are well hidden.  They stil exists, but the
documentation has been setup to show the extentions.  If these extentions
fit your need then is is excellent.  Getting wxGTK to compile on a unix
box proved to be very interesting but I did manage to accomplish it.

QT :  Very difficult to compile on my network.  I used gnu stuff under
/usr/local including gcc.  As it turned out this installation had been
basterdized so much that version had trouble compiling. Here's the steps I
had to take to get QT to work:
1. compile binutils and install in my own directory. THese were compiled,
linked and installed with bastard versions.
2. source that directory
3. compile gcc with consistant version of binutils. linked with binutils
that were compiled wiht bastard version.
4. recompile binutiles with gcc which uses consistant version
binutils.  Now binutils should be considered clean.  No basterd versions
have been used.
5. compile gcc and install

Now have gcc and binutils which should be not bastardized at all.  QT then
compiled.  INfact I pulled in the lates version ad compiled without a
problem.
  QT is much like wxWindows, in my opinion.  wx mailing list would flame
me for that comment.

Both of these for my application are not usable.  THey use too much memory
(graphics use double when pixels are int.)

In wxWindows there is under development a canvas class that the developer
must take each piece of data ad create a wxclass for the canvas class to
handle.  I commented that some of my data might exceed 1gig and increasing
to the max of 32bit pointer within the next 2 years.  THe comment from
some of the developers what that iw wasn't meant for that much data.

Gnome/GTK : is the basics -> reminds me of Xt I used 5+ years ago.
  It provides little to no fluff that I MUST use.  It may take a little
longer to get my GUI setup with gnome/GTK but that is the smallest part of
my current app.  My data will not need to be doubled and my ENTIRELY int
data base does not have to be converted to double to interface to the
canvas then converted back again to int, to be put in the DC.

I've been told that Solaris 9, on a SUN, will be Gnome based.

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> Funny, this world: 10 years ago I ported an X11 based application
> running on UNIX to Windows, later that became Win32. The application
> continued to develop under Win32/NT and got heavily woven into Windows
> GUI internals, threads and other specifics unique to the Windows world so
> that backporting now seems more difficult than ever.
>
> My question: Is there an overview or roadmap for existing GUIs, toolkits etc.
> under Linux or Unix in general?
>
> Which WMs are based on GTK+ ?
>
> What about Qt?
>
> Others?
>
> Is there something like Win32 SDK in the unix world? Bristol Technologies
> had offered something but that's years ago, I believe it was even MFC.
>
> --
> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku gil physik rwth-aachen de

=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+=========+
           /___/
Texas Instruments ASIC Circuit Design Methology Group
Dallas, Texas
214-480-4455
bpatton dal asp ti com