Re: New User

Before spending a lot of money for these books, I'd follow a few
tutorials just to see if you're going to be comfortable programming with
Gtk. One book will quickly grow to several. Gnome books cover Gnome
programming which uses Gtk, but with differences. If you want to develop
in Gnome, that's all and fine, but I'd still recommend an additional
book or a few for Gtk itself to kinda give you an under-the-hood look at
how things are done. For starters, I've had good luck with the Sams
"Teach Yourself Gtk in 21 days" book - it's simply written and fairly
easy for a novice to follow. But don't depend on any single book - get a
few. Budget a couple hundred bucks and build up a good starter library,
or better yet, throw the budget away because you'll blow it easily... :)
What books you get will largely depend on your programming background.
If you're an experienced programmer, you may find the Sams book beneath
you. If you're new to programming, you'll probably also want to get
general programming books, books on graphics, and depending on what kind
of programming you want to do books that cover those topics - like
database development or number-crunching, etc... Also, you may find the
customer comments at Amazon to be helpful.

Mike