Re: [gtk-list] Re: GdkRGB drawing directly into a GdkImage

On Mon, 08 Nov 1999, Owen Taylor wrote:
> Arthur Jerijian <lightmanaj@earthlink.net> writes:

> > > Why do you want to draw directly on a GdkImage?
> >
> > I want my library to be able to support such a thing in case the developer's
> > application uses GtkImage widgets instead of GtkPixmap widgets. It would
> > also be great for something like an offscreen drawing area. Plus, I don't mind
> > flexibility and speed. :*)
>
> I know of no reason why a developer would want to use a GtkImage widget.
>
> They might use a GtkDrawingArea widget and use GdkRGB to handle
> exposes on that, or they might use the GtkRGB widget that somebody
> mentioned writing recently.
>
> A search in the GNOME cvs repository turns up not one single application
> using GtkImage. (The only references are its definition in GTK+, and
> the suport in Glade)
>
> So I wouldn't worry about that. Regards,

Actually, Owen, I gave this some more thought. This pertains to my GdkMagick
library, which uses an ImageMagick image as the local image representation for
a GdkPixmap. I realize now that I won't need to directly render into a GdkImage.

I spent some more time last weekend finalizing the API for GdkMagick as it
pertains to the upcoming 0.6 release and the beta releases that will follow. If
any of you are interested, I will post the gdk_magick.h header file to the
mailing list.

Thanks,
--Arthur