Re: [gtk-list] Re: GdkRGB drawing directly into a GdkImage

On Sat, 06 Nov 1999, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> >  Can GdkRGB draw directly into a GdkImage? I know I can always draw into a
> >  pixmap and retrieve the image from the pixmap, but this costs network bandwidth
> >  and performance, particularly on slow networks.
>
> Why do you want to draw directly on a GdkImage?

I want my library to be able to support such a thing in case the developer's
application uses GtkImage widgets instead of GtkPixmap widgets. It would
also be great for something like an offscreen drawing area. Plus, I don't mind
flexibility and speed. :*)

> [It would be trivial to rip out GdkRGB's code if you really need to do this]

I thought about this just a few minutes ago, actually. I took a look at the
GdkRGB source code and found out that it wouldn't be too hard to modify it and
include it in my library. This is probably what I may end up doing. Of course,
I will still keep the LGPL license on the source code and include Raph Levien's
name and the GTK+ team in my list of credits. (And of course, there's always
the issue of keeping the namespace clean.)

Thanks,
--Arthur