Re: GdkRGB drawing directly into a GdkImage

Arthur Jerijian <lightmanaj@earthlink.net> writes:

> On Sat, 06 Nov 1999, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > >  Can GdkRGB draw directly into a GdkImage? I know I can always draw into a
> > >  pixmap and retrieve the image from the pixmap, but this costs network bandwidth
> > >  and performance, particularly on slow networks.
> >
> > Why do you want to draw directly on a GdkImage?
>
> I want my library to be able to support such a thing in case the developer's
> application uses GtkImage widgets instead of GtkPixmap widgets. It would
> also be great for something like an offscreen drawing area. Plus, I don't mind
> flexibility and speed. :*)

I know of no reason why a developer would want to use a GtkImage widget.

They might use a GtkDrawingArea widget and use GdkRGB to handle
exposes on that, or they might use the GtkRGB widget that somebody
mentioned writing recently.

A search in the GNOME cvs repository turns up not one single application
using GtkImage. (The only references are its definition in GTK+, and
the suport in Glade)

So I wouldn't worry about that. Regards,

                                        Owen