Re: [gtk-list] Re: A small mistake in the documentation

On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 04:37:22PM +0100, Andreas Bombe wrote:
> I think that if a book on GTK+ is written, GNOME should be included.
> After all, it's not as if they were separate, GNOME is built on GTK+.

yes they ARE separate.  Gnome depends on GTK+, not vice versa.
i use GTK+, not Gnome.  but i can't use Gnome without GTK+.
hence, if a book is written about Gnome, it will invariably
include a lot of GTK+ material.  the converse doesn't need to
happen.

> To program for GNOME you need to know GTK+, and if you use GTK+ for
> your programs you probably want to do GNOME as well.  Hard core GTK+
> coders can ignore the GNOME chapters if they want :-)

this logic is flawed.  if we take your reasoning a step further,
the book might as well include information on how to program using
C, since GTK+ uses C. :)
--andy