Re: [gtk-list] Rectangular selection and style guide

Good question. There really are so few apps that implement rectangular select
that I think it's a 'frontier' -- no real conventions.

I don't see any problem with using alt. It isn't your responsibility to make
sure the app can recieve the key. I /do/ have an old-fashioned belief that all
such things should be configurable, so the user can change it if it's a problem.

The important thing is to bear in mind is that whatever technique you use, it
should fit in a planned and orderly fashion with the rest of the interface.

But all that said, heres the way I'd love to see it done: like emacs. If you've
used emacs much, you know that it doesn't really have 'rectangular selections'
but rather a set of commands that treat the selection as rectangular. If you
combined this technique with some snazzy visual cue that indicated the extent
of the selection in both terms (linear and rectangular), well, that would
strike me as cool.

Good luck,

-M. D. Krauss