Rectangular selection and style guide

   I'm implementing rectangular selection for my text editing widget
Scintilla and would like to know if there are any GTK+ or X conventions I
should be following.

   On Windows, holding the Alt key down while swiping over text creates a
rectangular selection in those applications that support rectangular
selection. On X, most of the WMs intercept this and take it as a request to
drag the window about. It looks like the Control key is free to be used to
indicate rectangular selection.

   Is there an application style guide that specifies how this and other
actions should work? Is there another application that I should copy here?

   Neil