Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK and Qt comparison?

Ronan BOURLIER wrote:

> Regarding the GPL license, can I develop a commercial application based
> on GTK ? And if I can, is there any special requirement ?
> I read the GPL license and I am not sure that I understood everything.
> (english is not my mother tongue ;)

Here is what I have understood till now:
1. Let's say you want to use GTK. GTK is LGPL, that is you can use it's
libs and headers to develop whatever program you want, even commercial
ones. By this I mean you only use the binaries and you do not change the
GTK sources. You us it as a third party library.
2. If you want to take parts from the GTK and include in your own code,
that this code has to be also released as LGPL (if it is a library) or
as GPL (if it is a program). You also have to mention the copyright
notice of the code you are using or specify that you use code
copyrighted by xxx in your sources.

I am also really new to this, so I'd like to hear comments from others
too.

Ionutz