Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK and Qt comparison?

Ronan BOURLIER wrote:

> Russell Leighton wrote:
> >
> > I am looking for a short
> > comparison of GTK and Qt...
> > yes, I know this is a sensitive
> > issue, no flames please.
> >
> > Are there Web pages comparing
> > the *techincal* strengths and
> > weeknesses?
> >
> Hi Russel,
> the main difference is : GTK is C and Qt is C++.
> I just had to choose a week ago between them,
> and I choose GTK, because of C, and
> also because I needed a tree.
> The only really good tree I found was in GTK 1.1.1.
>
> If you need a port on windows, Qt is ahead of GTK.
With 1000$ if I'm not wrong. The Qt is free ONLY for Linux and that only
if you make your program GPL or freeware or the such. If you don't want
to give your sources, than you have to pay the license. For M$ Win, from
what I know , you have to pay the license for the libs. Am I correct ?
This is one of the reasons GTK is so successful.

Debian Linux distribution doesn't even include Qt on its 'Official CDs'
because it is not 100% free in the Debian spirit. You have to download
it from the Debian mirrors from the non-free directory, buy from a CD
manufacturer that include sections from the non-free or download and
compile by yourself. And if you don't have Qt, things like KDE don't
work so why even bother. On the other hand, GTK is included in the main
distribution of the Debian. And the same happens with GNOME.

About C++: take a look at the new released VDK 0.3 from

http://www.guest.net/homepages/mmotta/VDKHome/index.htm

I's just in alpha, but I think it's very nice and useful even at this
'age'. If you come from M$ Win world and loved Borland's tools (Delphi
and C++ Builder), than this is the right choice. If you want something
older and more stable you can take a look at gtk--.

> The best is to try yourself.
And read the license very carefully.

Ionutz