Re: [gtk-list] Re: GTK and Qt comparison?

Ionut Borcoman at home wrote:

> > If you need a port on windows, Qt is ahead of GTK.
> With 1000$ if I'm not wrong. The Qt is free ONLY for Linux and that only
> if you make your program GPL or freeware or the such. If you don't want
> to give your sources, than you have to pay the license. For M$ Win, from
> what I know , you have to pay the license for the libs. Am I correct ?
> This is one of the reasons GTK is so successful.

Yes the port on Windows is not free. I had a license for a month to test
it.
On Unix, as long as you develop freeware you don't have to pay fees for
Qt,
but you have too if you want to develop a commercial application.
On Windows, no choice, you have to pay the license.

Regarding the GPL license, can I develop a commercial application based
on GTK ? And if I can, is there any special requirement ?
I read the GPL license and I am not sure that I understood everything.
(english is not my mother tongue ;)

I don't know if this the good place to talk about it, but if
anyone can answer me, or tell me if there is a good web to find
information
about that. I look at www.gnu.org but nothing really clear.

thanks in advance

Ronan BOURLIER