Re: [gtk-list] Re: announce: yet another gtk+ C++ wrapper (no caps as Owen suggest)

Mario Motta <mmotta@guest.net> writes:

> i do not think that gtk+ users will be confused, they are not are
> babies or stupid and can judge what is good and what is garbage :-)

Gtk-- is a bit more than a straight C++ wrapper around gtk+, it also
has its own "goodies". So we end up having two seperate, incompatible
C++ libraries from which developpers will have to choose from,
comparing each of the features set.

> >- it would be a duplication of a rather heavy effort (keeping Gtk-- up
> > to date with gtk+ is no small task, believe me),
> >
> difficulties are not good reasons to block others possibilities or
> enterprises, GNU manifesto encourages all efforts and is born to
> deny such mentality, only users should made the last sentence :-)

I'm not sure the GNU manifesto condones not reusing code :-). We've
already talked about it, and no matter what you do, you will end up
rewriting all those little methods which encapsulate gtk+ functions,
just like we did in Gtk--, and moreover you will have to maintain
them, just like we're doing.

I believe your time could be better spent, and that basing VDK on
Gtk-- is something that really should be looked into.

> you are right, no "technical" ones, simply the will to make Gtk+
> easier and provide more possibilities to the users. I believe that
> having more than one choice is better than having only one.

Diversity is good, but not *that* good, especially when it comes to
libraries and programming tools. It's always better to improve an
existing tool rather than build another one from scratch which will
have the features you want but will lack those of the previously
existing one.

--
					Guillaume.
					http://www.worldnet.fr/~glaurent