Re: [gtkmm] Drawing interface in Gtk--

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Michael Babcock wrote:

> The problem I ran into was that implementing a proper Viewport widget
> would not allow use of the existing "draw" slot because that is defined
> to take dimensions of short int. I wrote about this a couple months ago
> and posted it to the gtk-mozilla newsgroup. I guess it was the wrong
> place or just a dumb message because I didn't get much response.

You did get a response - GdkDrawable is a wrapper around an X Window
(among other things), and so it is the wrong place to implement this.
Because an X window has a size limit. Gdk isn't OO because Xlib isn't and
it's a wrapper around Xlib.

The two available canvases both address this kind of thing, and the
GtkLayout widget does. GnomeCanvas and GtkLayout are in gnome-libs; I'm
not sure where the other canvas lives but it's around. They do what you
want, or are planned to, I believe. GnomeCanvas is fully object-oriented.

> is short. My question is whether this gtkmmdraw deals with encapsulating
> drawables/gcs so that you don't have this problem. Another thing drawing

gtkmmdraw is just a GdkDrawable/gdk_draw_* wrapper, and a lot of
convenience code around GdkGC, GdkColor, and so on. It also provides a
DrawingArea wrapper with a backing store. But it's meant to be relatively
low level compared to the various canvas widgets. So you want to be
looking at them rather than gtkmmdraw for this purpose.

Havoc