help with tables

I am trying to create my own text editor (just to help me learn more about GTK+)
and am having trouble setting up tables to get the text widget and scroll bar to align
properly.  I have looked at the GTK tutorial in the GtkText widget section, where the
example uses tables.  I tried doing exactly what the example did, but I could not duplicate it.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like:

have a table with 1 row and 2 columns.  It places the widgets in the middle of their field.

How can I make the scrollbar line up right next to the text area (and have the text area fill the rest of the window?)

thanks for your help,

--
Aaron Walker
aaron@iconmedia.com