Re: [gtk-list] Pure Gtk vs Gnome

On Mon, 2 Nov 1998 gandalf@pobox.com wrote:

> Hiya.
>
> I have been writting a little app in Gtk, and have just finished taking the
> plunge and converting my code to be gnome aware.  Now I have firmly decided
> that I want to continue to develop my app as gnome aware.
>
> The question I have for people is, do you think it is worth having a seperate
> "gtk only" version?
>
> I can see how I can wrap most of it so that i can continue to develop both,
> with little duplicate coding.  But is it worth the effort?  I have played a
> little and it seems you can run the gnome aware version without an active
> gnome session.  However since it is linking against gnome libs and not just
> gtk libs, it still would require gnome (or at least gnome-lib) to be installed
> to run.
>
> I don't want to start a war over this, but I am honestly interested in hearing
> what people think of this.  I would obviously prefer to give myself less work,
> but i am not sure I want to limit myslef to only gnome users.
>
> Also, if people have ideas/hints/tips about how to maintain two such versions,
> I would love to hear them.

why not just package your app with the libgnome sources and at compile
time, check if they exist on the system already - if not, build a static
.a version of it and link with it..?

Scott M. Stone <sstone@pht.com, sstone@pht.co.jp>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)