GTK - aesthetics ???

  I suspect this has been done to death, only I didn't see it. Are
  people in agreement that GTK, despite it's programmatic beauty, is
  ugly on the eye, at least by default - I think so.

  Why is this, or are people's sense of the aesthetic generally
  divergent from my own (a possibility), although the advent of
  GTKSTEP would at least, in part, indicate I am not alone.

  I am not denigrating the blood, guts, sweat and tears that have
  undoubtedly gone into the creation of the GTK toolkit, but surely
  such efforts are, at least in part, about producing interfaces that
  are pleasing upon the eye.

  I'm sure that despite its (I'm being sincere here) programmatic power
  we're still left with something that has all the visual appeal
  (forgive me gran) of our grandmother's undergarments.

  Please tell me there are plans afoot to change things.

--
Mike.